Welcome Dance Marathon followers!

We, the Dance Marathon staff, have joined together to blog about our journey leading up to DM 2011. We want to share our own personal experiences and pathway to creating a generation free of HIV.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

What Dance Marathon Means to Me

The sheer magnanimity of decorated Pauley Ballroom astounded me and the bright lights blinded me. This was Dance Marathon 2009 and I, the awed volunteer was there. In that moment, I realized that I wanted to not only help set-up next year’s event but also promote our valiant fight against Pediatric Aids. This is why I applied for the Outreach Committee. Dance Marathon’s cause is what I feel really defines the event and its hopeful message. It is a chance for the different communities of Berkeley to join together in a united, just cause and inspire hope/determination in those who have suffered from Pediatric Aids. As cliché as this may sound, Dance Marathon is an opportunity for me to feel as if I am significantly impacting other peoples’ lives in the world. Spreading the idea of a “generation free of AIDS” invokes a wonderful feeling within my heart especially when I see adults and children alike first stare and then smile with wonder.

I am not naïve to think that one person can completely eradicate a deadly disease like Pediatric AIDS but here in an interesting fact for you. As stated on the Elizabeth Glaser website, a donation of just $15 could reach one pregnant woman with the services she needs to prevent transmission of HIV to her baby. This means that $15 donated from me or you can help prevent a child from receiving HIV from his/her mother. This is a step in the right direction towards a “generation free of AIDS.” I feel as if it is my responsibility along with others in the committee to make sure that people are aware of important facts about the global AIDS epidemic such as this one. Our cause has made me want to become more knowledgeable about the global AIDS epidemic and what measures can be taken to prevent it from becoming an even more pressing issue. I want to inform people about the goals of both Dance Marathon and the Elizabeth Glaser Foundation and allow them to choose whether or not to support a possibly life-changing, monumental organizational effort.

With Much DM Love,

Amir Afshar

(Member of the DM Outreach Committee 2010-2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment